Category Archives: AJAX
Having the building blocks of my SID player available (see earlier posts), it really was no brainer to take up the suggestion of a colleague to take his Rockbox version of a MOD player and also turn it into a Flash version (it took about half an hour).
To try out at least something new, I decided to tap the WebService of a popular chiptune page and learn how that is done with PHP. Also I am using AJAX to integrate the resulting data.
As I had already done in my SID version I am using a PHP/cURL based proxy script to work around the Flash security restrictions and load the music files indirectly from the respective domain.
The result can be seen here.
This next little experiment led me into the world of Joomla 2.59 (an open source CMS system). Since PHP and MySQL are among the few things that my web hoster is comfortable with, there wasn’t much of a choice really. Still I jumped at the opportunity to get some hands-on PHP5 experience.
As expected a simple Joomla site was quickly setup with pre-existing building blocks like user management, commenting functionality and a simple release system to share my source code. Also it came as no surprise that the ‘point & click’ based Joomla software development approach got hairy once I needed my own custom functionalities. With hairy I mean the energy that is wasted to find the different places (e.g. via plugins, modules and component config or site templates) that need patching to rectify the “incorrect turns” that the “framework” is otherwise taking (or to just add missing hooks).
To make the music player from my previous experiment a bit easier to use I decided to put it into its own floating window and integrate it with some HTML based playlist functionality. After some failed attempts to get my floating window re-positioning code to consistently work in different web browsers (using “plain HTML”), I ended up using jQuery which solved the respective problems just fine. jQuery then also proved useful for the CSS based highlight/expand/collapse functionalities that I added and later it was the base for implementing a dynatree.js based file browser with “load on demand” and “drag & drop” functionality.
The final result (here) turned out quite as I wanted.
Still I was somewhat surprised about the “immaturities” that sometimes manifested in the above tools. With that I mean that eventhough I used these tools superficially at best I already ran into a couple of bugs which previously had gone undetected – which does not speak for thourough testing. However it was a pleasure to then witness the speediness with which these bugs got fixed once they were reported (I hope they also created a new testcase.. ). Community driven software development at its best 🙂